The Library is excited to announce that the BioConnector is partnering with the University of Virginia Health System Cancer Center and the Office of Research Core Administration to provide access to Ingenuity Pathways Analysis (IPA). IPA is software that allows users to rapidly understand pathway involvement and change, effected biological processes, causal regulators and their directional effect on genes, and functions and diseases across multiple time points or doses.
Intrigued? Then make plans to visit the Library during the IPA Open House on April 12th. This is your opportunity to learn more, to try IPA for free, and to learn about the subsidized pricing available to you through UVA.
There are several sessions from which to choose:
9:00-10:00- Sign up session; BioConnector ( lower level, Health Sciences Library)
Learn more about IPA, and sign up for an account.
Coffee & refreshments will be served.
10:00-noon- Introduction and hands-on training (Carter Classroom, Health Sciences Library)
*Registration is required for this session: https://www.hsl.virginia.edu/node/38716
1:00-4:00- Drop-in session
We hope that you can join us.
On April 9, 1976, the opening of the new Health Sciences Library at the University of Virginia was celebrated at a dedication ceremony. This year on April 8, 2016, we recognize the Health Sciences Library’s 40th anniversary, marking four decades of service in the current library building.
The early history of the Health Sciences Library goes back to the very beginning of the University and a modest collection of medical, anatomical, and surgical texts, including 329 works selected by Thomas Jefferson. For nearly a century, medical books were kept with the rest of the library collection housed in the Rotunda. Unfortunately, most of these medical texts were destroyed during the 1895 Rotunda fire. As the Rotunda and the library collection were rebuilt in the years that followed, a new medical library of 7,000 books was acquired and housed in the basement of the Rotunda, separate from the rest of the collection.
In 1910, Abraham Flexner’s famous report on medical education in the United States and Canada commented that one of the primary deficiencies of the UVA medical program was the lack of an adequate medical library. Nearly two decades later, the construction of the new UVA medical school, which opened in 1929, met this need by allocating space for a designated medical library. However, the rapid expansion of the library’s collection of books and journals and the swift growth of both the School of Medicine and the University Hospital caused the library to outgrow its new space much sooner than expected. Beginning in the 1940s, storage limitations led many medical books and library materials to be stored in Alderman Library or in other offsite locations like the attic of Cabell Hall. A need for additional library space was becoming increasingly apparent, but the struggle to obtain the funds needed to develop and build a new library would stretch on for several more decades.
Finally in the early 1960s, generous donations by alumni, a grant from the National Institutes of Health, and state funding provided the necessary capital to launch a planning committee for the new library. Leading these efforts was Dr. Wilhelm Moll, director of the library from 1962 until his death in 1979. In recognition of Dr. Moll’s leadership and substantial contributions to the medical library, the Wilhelm Moll Rare Book and Medical History Room in Historical Collections was named in his honor.
Re-envisioned as the “Health Sciences Library,” the new facility designed under Dr. Moll’s supervision would bring together the medical collection and the nursing collection, which had been held in a separate nursing library in McKim Hall, and would adopt the mission to serve patrons from all areas of the health system. Project leaders hoped to select a site for the new library that would position it at the heart of the medical center complex, adjacent to education, research, and medical care facilities. An innovative design was proposed for a library building that would span Jefferson Park Avenue, serving as a “bridge” between health system buildings on either side of the street. After much debate, and despite lingering apprehension from some community members, the “skybridge” design was approved. Construction began in 1973 and was completed for a grand opening of the new library on August 8, 1975. Two years later the library acquired the name we know it by today after the reception of a gift by radiologist and UVA alumnus Dr. Claude Moore.
Over the last 40 years of the Health Sciences Library’s history, the library has experienced tremendous collection growth, embraced the advent of new technologies and digital resources, and completed a major renovation project from 1999-2000 to create a new journal room, computer lab, updated entry foyer and service desk, group study rooms, and expanded Historical Collections area. Just last year the Library opened a satellite unit, the Patient & Family Library, in the UVA Hospital’s main lobby. In 2016 the library continues its mission to support education, research, patient care, and community service at the UVA Health System, serving as a leader in the creation, organization, sharing, and preservation of biomedical knowledge. Help us celebrate this 40 year milestone at a celebration Friday, April 8, 2016, at 12:30 pm in the main lobby of the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library.
The newly published books listed below have recently been added to the Library’s collection of electronic books. Click on any linked title to browse a table of contents or to read the full-text. A more comprehensive list of health sciences e-books available can be found on the Library’s E-Books page. Do you want to recommend the purchase of a book for the Library’s collection? You can submit your requests via our online Purchase Recommendation form.
- Bradley’s Neurology in Clinical Practice
- Cosmeceuticals, 3rd Edition
- The Developing Human, 10th Edition
- Endocrinology: Adult and Pediatric
- Ferri’s Clinical Advisor 2016
- Guidelines for Perioperative Practice 2016
- Histology and Cell Biology: An Introduction to Pathology, 4th Edition
- Infusion Therapy Standards of Practice
- Learning Radiology: Recognizing the Basics
- Miller’s Review of Orthopaedics, 7th Edition
- Mosby’s Guide to Nursing Diagnosis
- Motivational Interviewing in Diabetes Care: Facilitating Self-Care
- Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 20th Edition
- Nolte’s The Human Brain, 7th Edition
- Principles and Practice of Laser Dentistry
- Rang & Dale’s Pharmacology, 8th Edition
- Remington and Klein’s Infectious Diseases of the Fetus and Newborn Infant
- Rich’s Vascular Trauma
- Rowan’s Primer of EEG
- Scheuer’s Liver Biopsy Interpretation, 9th Edition
- Signal Transduction
- Smith’s Recognizable Patterns of Human Deformation, 4th Edition
- Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society® Core Curriculum: Wound Management
We added more booths to the lobby, as this area has become a popular space for patrons to study and collaborate. Two mobile whiteboards are also available.
The UVA Professional Nursing Staff Organization (PNSO) supports and encourages evidence-based practice (EBP) to improve care and achieve excellent outcomes throughout the institution. Nurses are empowered to make a difference at UVA Health System by adopting an evidence-based approach to their practice. To help facilitate this process, the Health Sciences Library has developed an Evidence-Based Nursing Page: https://www.hsl.virginia.edu/portal/sonursing/ebn.cfm
This resource contains information about searching our specialized EBP databases and resources. Nurses understand that the evolving information landscape requires them to develop information management skills in order to address the many questions that arise in their education, practice, and research, and the Library is instrumental in collecting resources to aid in this development.
The Evidence Based Nursing page also contains a link to the Evidence-Based Practice Toolkit: https://www.hsl.virginia.edu/node/14254 , which describes the UVA Evidence-Based Practice Framework. This framework establishes a process for assessing and critiquing research, and incorporating and implementing validated research into nursing practice at UVA Health System. Any clinician may use the Evidence-Based Practice Template to submit a preliminary assessment of the evidence supporting a recommendation for practice change to the PNSO’s Research, Review, and Recommendation Committee (R3).
To facilitate collaborative use of the Template, the Library has developed an online Journal Club https://www.hsl.virginia.edu/journal-club-dashboard that follows the structure of the print resource but allows email discussion of the appraisal of individual journal articles.
In this technology-based health care world, nurses need skills and resources in order to find reliable information and the Health Sciences Library continues to be an integral partner in advancing nurses’ evidence-based practice at UVA.
On January 12, 1920, five months before the passage of the 19th amendment guaranteed U.S. women the right to vote, a meeting of the University of Virginia Board of Visitors included a revolutionary decision:
“RESOLVED by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia, that beginning with the session opening in September 1920, mature and properly qualified women be admitted to the graduate and professional schools of the University…” 
At the following meeting on February 19, 1920, the Board of Visitors composed age and education requirements for women applicants. For prospective female medical students, these criteria included being no younger than twenty years old on the date of registration and possessing at least two years of prior college work.  When the fall term began later that year, two women had been admitted to join the medical student ranks: Sara Ruth Dean of Mississippi and Lila Morse Bonner of South Carolina. Having already completed two years of study in medicine at the University of Mississippi, Dean would graduate from UVA just two years later in 1922, earning the distinction of being the first woman to graduate from the School of Medicine. In 1924, Bonner would become the second to do so.
Historical records in the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library contain little information about Sara Ruth Dean during her time at UVA. Her name appears on the 1920-1921 and 1921-1922 medical student registers, and she is included among the list of graduates who received their diplomas on June 13, 1922. After obtaining her medical degree, Dr. Dean worked at children’s hospitals in Boston and Denver before returning to her hometown of Greenwood, Mississippi, where she established a private pediatrics practice in 1928.  Five year later, Dean’s career as a child specialist suffered a serious setback when she found herself making headlines around the nation as the central figure in a murder trial.
In 1933, the sudden death of another Greenwood physician, Dr. John Preston Kennedy, led to charges that Dean had fatally poisoned Kennedy with a mercury-laced cocktail. The highly publicized Dean-Kennedy case hinged on a deathbed accusation made by Kennedy to his brothers, love letters between Kennedy and Dean, and testimonials from several respected physicians disputing the mercury-poisoning diagnosis. After a lengthy trial during which Dean staunchly maintained her innocence, the 35-year-old doctor was convicted of Kennedy’s murder and sentenced to life imprisonment. She lost the appeal but then in July of 1935 received a full pardon from Mississippi Governor Sennett Conner.
While her involvement in a murder trial may have garnered far more attention during her lifetime, Dr. Dean’s legacy as the first woman to graduate from the School of Medicine marks an important milestone in the history of women at UVA. Soon after the arrival of female graduate and professional students, women began to be accepted in other areas of academic life at the University. Dr. Thelma F. Brumfield (later Dunn), herself a 1926 graduate of the UVA School of Medicine, became the first woman faculty member of the School of Medicine when she was hired by the Department of Bacteriology and Pathology in 1927.
Despite the significance of these steps to open the doors of the School of Medicine to female students and faculty members, for many decades after 1920 women remained a very small minority at UVA and in the medical profession as well. Not until the mid-1970s would Title IX and shifting social perceptions spur a sharp rise in the number of women pursuing careers in medicine. Almost 100 years after the Board of Visitors first voted to admit female graduate students, and in honor of Women’s History Month, we remember some of the early figures who helped pave the way for women at the UVA School of Medicine.
1. Board of Visitors Minutes. (1920 January 12). University of Virginia.
2. Board of Visitors Minutes. (1920 February 19). University of Virginia.
3. Selected articles from The Greenwood Commonwealth. (1928-1934). University of Virginia School of Medicine Biographical Files, #MS-36, Box 2. Historical Collections & Services, Claude Moore Health Sciences Library.
Briar, the Faery Librarian, was the featured guest for the 1st birthday celebration of the Patient & Family Library (PFL). Lydia Witman, PFL manager, was pleased with the response to Briar, saying, “I was pleasantly surprised by how much the adults loved Briar, too–parents, adult patients, and staff. In the hospital setting we need more moments of laughter and smiles.”
Briar is scheduled to visit the PFL on the second Thursday of every month at 2pm. The PFL is open Monday through Friday, 10am to 4pm, and is located in the University Hospital Lobby behind the Information Desk.
Find out more about the Patient & Family Library by clicking on hsl.virginia.edu/pfl.
The Claude Moore Health Sciences Library is hosting a new exhibit on an old building. What makes this building interesting? Well, for starters, it was designed by Thomas Jefferson. He didn’t include it in his original plans for the University of Virginia, but by the beginning of classes in 1825, Jefferson and the Board of Visitors were discussing the need for this additional structure. In the early days of the University, professors lived and taught in their pavilions on the Lawn, but it was clear that teaching anatomy in the same building where a professor and his family lived was not a good arrangement. So Jefferson designed a 44-foot square, multi-story, brick building containing an amphitheater for teaching, a museum to display skeletons and wax medical models, and a charnel for body parts and cadavers. This design formed the basis for what would become the Anatomical Theatre.
The exhibit looks at the early days of medical education at the University with a particular focus on the teaching of anatomy, and it explains how bodies were obtained, often by “resurrectionists” or grave robbers, for students to dissect. It explores various architectural changes made to the Anatomical Theatre over the years, as well as the different purposes the building served after first opening for classes in the spring of 1828.
Interested in visiting this Jeffersonian building? Sadly, the structure no longer exists. Perched on the side of a ravine that was filled in during the construction of Alderman Library, the Anatomical Theatre’s location became problematic, and it was demolished in 1939. Though the Theatre’s bricks were scattered across the University to repair other buildings and the serpentine walls, its story is told in words, pictures, and four salvaged bricks in the CMHSL lobby. The exhibit was designed by Janet Pearson of Historical Collections & Services, and will be on display from March 7 until July 22, 2016.