What is one of the most commonly asked questions at the Library? How do I find a journal article!
The answer to this question is more complex in the digital age but the steps for finding your articles can be simple. The Library subscribes to both print and online journals. Most of the Library’s journals are online. In fact, the Library subscribes to approximately 3,807 online journals.
So what about print journals? Print journals do remain in the Library for a few reasons. Some journals are only available from their publisher in print. Also, the Library still retains approximately 200 core journals in both print and online.
If you are trying to find a journal article, it may be available online, in print, or both. When looking for journal articles try these steps.
Find@UVa can help you locate a journal article whether it is online or in print.
- Click on Find@UVa on the Library’s Home Page
- Type the journal’s name in the All Journals box to see if the journal is available at the University of Virginia in print or online
- Click on the Details button to view the print issues or the hyperlink to get to the online journal
E-Journals allows you to search for journals using the alphabetical array or by journal category (61 categories).
- Click on E-Journals from the Library’s Home Page
- Select a category and view the journals or click into the alphabet to find your journal
Do you Google to find your journal articles? Consider switching to Google Scholar to search for journal articles. Journals licensed by the University of Virginia Libraries (as well as publicly accessible full-text articles) are available to UVa staff, faculty, and students on Google Scholar.
- Click on the title of the article in Google Scholar and pull-up the full-article or a PDF
- You can also look for a Find This@UVa Libraries link and click on get article for the journal article
ILLIad (Interlibrary Loan)
If you can’t find your journal articles through either Find@UVa or Google Scholar use ILLiad. ILLiad is the Library’s free request service for journal articles, books, or other resources not owned by the University of Virginia. ILLiad services are only available to faculty, staff, and students affiliated with the University of Virginia Health System
- Click on the Self Service tab on the Library’s Home Page and select Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad)
- If you are a first time user, click First Time Users Register Here and enter your information
- Once registered, submit your journal request
For More Information
Contact the Reference Desk at (434) 924-5591.