What Is F1000Workspace? F1000Workspace is a platform to help biology and medical researchers discover and collect literature, manage references and prepare manuscripts, grant applications, posters, talks, etc. for submission. It consists of a web-based application, a browser extension, and a powerful plugin for Microsoft Word plus a lightweight desktop app for importing PDFs. The browser extension adds a special button to your browser you can use to save and annotate articles as you browse. The Microsoft Word plugin allows you to easily insert citations, search for new references and even get smart citation recommendations. F1000Workspace is freely available to all UVa employees.
F1000Workspace has the following key functions:
- Manage references – easily import your existing references and collect new ones using the F1000 browser button. You can import references from all popular reference management tools (EndNote, RefWorks, Mendeley, Zotero, Papers, etc.) as well as directly from PDFs on your computer.
- Save and annotate – The F1000 browser extension allows you to easily save references as you browse to the webpage of a relevant article. You can save multiple references (for example from a PubMed search results page) and even save the citations of an article you are interested in. In addition you can highlight and annotate relevant text and share this with members of a shared project.
- Share references – F1000Workspace allows you to set up shared projects where you and invited colleagues can create a shared reference list, share comments and annotations and easily edit each other’s references when in Word (you must have the F1000 Word plugin installed).
- Reference discovery – At the core of F1000Workspace is an intelligent algorithm that suggests relevant references you may not have already discovered. This includes references recommended by the F1000 Faculty, a body of over 10,000 biomedical experts and other references from PubMed.
Getting started with F1000Workspace
Start by going to http://f1000.com/work and setting up an account. If you have an existing F1000Prime username and password, you can login with your existing credentials. F1000Workspace is primarily a web-based application, but it works best if you download the browser extension, Microsoft Word plugin and desktop shortcut. After registering for your F1000Workspace account, you can access various user guides in the following locations. These take you step-by step through the installation process:
- F1000Workspace browser extension – http://f1000.com/work/#/guide/collect
- F1000Workspace Word plugin guide – http://f1000.com/work/#/guide/write
- General F1000Workspace help guide – http://f1000.com/work/faq
If you have any questions about F1000 Workspace or any other literature reference management issues, you may contact one of our reference librarians at firstname.lastname@example.org